Our volunteer Lifesavers are on duty on weekends and Public Holidays from Saturday 17th September 2016 until Monday 1st May 2017. SLSQ Lifeguards provide services at all other times.
All patrol members are rostered for patrol duties with their team approximately once every three weeks (may be a bit more frequently during the busy summer holiday period) on either an AM or PM shift and are notified via SMS on the Thursday prior to patrol.
Patrol Roster 2016/17
Lifesavers are required to update their awards at a Skills Maintenance (proficiency) assessment by 31st December each year to continue patrol duties. Members who do not complete a proficiency are not permitted to patrol after 31st December. More proficiency info here…
Keep up with the latest patrol news by joining our closed Facebook group for patrol members only – search for ‘Sunshine Beach Patrol Members’ and request to join.
Please advise your Patrol Captain as soon as possible if you cannot attend your patrol shift. If you need to find a sub be sure to consider which awards they need to hold to cover your absence and let your PC know who will be attending in your place. Here are some tips for finding someone to sub for you:
- Most members are happy to stand in for you if they can, but offering to swap a shift is a good idea, plus you have the added bonus of experiencing a patrol with a different team of friendly Sunshiners.
- Put out a request for a sub or to swap a patrol shift in our closed Facebook group specifically for Sunshine Beach Patrol Members.
- Try finding a sub online using the Members Portal - view the Online Patrol Swap Guide
- If a personal emergency hits at the last minute please contact your Patrol Captain as soon as you can.
- All patrol members are required to wear full uniform when on patrol. This includes a patrol shirt & shorts, patrol quartered cap (on head and tied under chin) and a patrol hat or patrol truckers cap. IRB members must wear a surf rescue rashie or patrol shirt while in the IRB as well as the PFD provided.
- Patrol uniforms are issued to members on completion of their Bronze Medallion or Surf Rescue Certificate. If an item of your uniform is damaged please return it to lifesaving administration to receive a replacement.
- Club swimwear, compulsory for all patrol members, can be purchased from the Uniform Shop open 7.30am on Sundays during the Junior Activities (Nippers) season or contact admin to arrange a time to meet with the Uniform Coordinators.
Patrol Member Benefits
- Special discount on a meal in the Surf Club Restaurant on the weekend of patrol and a free house beverage - no alcohol for U18. Members may be asked to show their card
- Great deals any time on all meals in the Surf Club Restaurant upon production of an Active Adult, Life Member or Cadet membership card (applies to the card holder only)
- Fully appointed gymnasium for patrol members (18yrs+), open 24/7. Cadets may also use the gym under adult supervision
- Help with the cost of squad swimming with a qualified coach - any pool (conditions apply) See the Resources & Forms page
- Fully subsidised surf swim coaching at Noosa rockwall on Wednesdays 5.30-7.00am available during the summer season
- Professional surf sports coaching for fitness and competition
- Free training courses in a variety of advanced and highly desirable, world recognised lifesaving qualifications
Member Protection Policy